Breaking the Silence is a professionally produced DVD about the impact of child sexual abuse. The DVD was commissioned by the Insights Team in direct response to requests from members of the community.
In the film, Patricia Feenan, mother of Daniel, a victim of deceased priest James Fletcher, and Bob O'Toole, who was sexually abused by a Marist Brother at school, speak about their experiences, their treatment by the Church community and the impact of the abuse on their lives to this day.
The DVD, which runs for 30 minutes, does have the potential to disturb and accordingly will be shown with facilitated groups at a range of locations throughout the diocese. The following gatherings are scheduled:
- Saturday 11 May 9.30am – 11.30am at St James’ Primary School Hall, Skellatar Stock Route, Muswellbrook.
- Tuesday 21 May 7.00-9.00pm at St Brigid’s Parish Hall, William St Raymond Terrace.
- Saturday 1 June 9.30-11.30am at St Paul’s Primary School Hall Felton St Gateshead.
- Wednesday 26 June 7.00-9.00pm at Holy Cross Parish Hall, 30 Oakland St Glendale.
- Saturday 21 September 9.30am-11.30am at The Corcoran Centre, cnr James and George Sts, Morpeth.
- Saturday 12 October 9.30am-11.30am in the Murray Room, Cathedral House, 841 Hunter St Newcastle West.
- Saturday 26 October 10.00am-12.00pm at St Patrick’s School Hall, 155 Wollombi Rd Cessnock.
For more information, contact the Insights Team on (02) 4979 1384 or via email. Alternatively, you can view the Insights page.