Healing is restoration of a sense of safety & well being, capacity to engage in healthy relationships with others & general ability to enjoy life. - Adults Surviving Child Abuse (ASCA)
The Healing and Support team provide a supportive response to those who have been affected by sexual abuse committed in the Catholic Diocese of Maitland-Newcastle. This involves working with those who were abused as a child or adult; their partners, parents, siblings or children. Healing and Support staff act as the person's advocate both within the Diocese and in the wider community. They "walk with" the person and are there for that part of the journey they choose to share. This support may include any of the following:
- Providing supported and targeted referrals to psychologists/counsellors and ensuring that the practitioners are experienced and/or have had training in working with adult survivors of child sexual abuse.
- Supporting the person, their family and friends through the criminal process in their quest for justice or a civil process in search for restitution. This may involve supporting a person giving a statement to Police, providing support during criminal trails and providing information about how to make a civil claim. Healing and Support may be involved from the beginning to the end of the criminal justice process from investigation to sentencing.
- Supporting the person and their family through periods of distress caused by physical, emotional or spiritual crisis.
- Facilitating group work and networking with others.
- Assisting individuals who have concerns about loss of spirituality.
Healing and Support may also offer support and assistance to those who live in the Diocese of Maitland-Newcastle but who were abused by a member of another diocese or religious order.
Healing and Support is staffed by a Coordinator and Caseworker who are highly experienced in working in the area of sexual abuse and have relevant qualifications in either Psychology or Social Work.
There is no 'burden of proof' placed on people to access Healing and Support. A person will receive services on the strength of their word, that they were affected by child sexual abuse.
The information that is shared with Healing and Support is confidential and treated as 'privileged communications'; the other parts of Zimmerman Services or wider diocese does not have access to a clients' information without their permission.
Support for survivors
In addition to Healing and Support Services, there are several support groups for survivors of abuse:
Adult Survivors of Child Abuse: www.blueknot.org.au
Survivors and Mates Support Network: www.samsn.org.au
Clergy Abused Network: 1300 722 689
Contact Healing & Support
The Coordinator of Healing and Support is located at 845 Hunter Street, Newcastle West.
Healing & Support is located at
50 Crebert St, Mayfield.
Office Hours are Monday – Friday( 9.00am–5.00pm)
Phone: (02) 4979 1390
Fax: (02) 4940 8087
Postal Address: PO Box 29, Carrington NSW 2294